Friday, April 23, 2010

"Stock Naming System" - How Do I Name Compounds?

I'm a biology student who learned very little in chemistry, and now we're doing review involving chemistry... I need help remembering/relearning how to name compounds, specifically ionic compounds, but any method for any type would be helpful. My homework paper mentions the "Stock Naming System," but I'm not sure what that is... I'd also appreciate help with naming acids, too

"Stock Naming System" - How Do I Name Compounds?
I'm not really too sure what the stock naming system is but I'll help you with other things





Ionic bonds(bond between a metal and a nonmetal)- The cation(metal) is named and then followed by the anion(nonmetal) with the suffix -ide. Ex. NaCl is sodium chloride





Covalent bonds(bonds between two nonmetals and share electrons)- Usually the center atom is named first and then the other atom(s) followed by the suffix -ide. Both of the atoms begin with a Greek prefix (unless the first atom named only has one atom in the molecule). In order the prefixes are: mono-, di-, tri-, tetra-,...


Ex. CO2 is Carbon dioxide





Binary acids(acids consisting of a hydrogen atom and 1 other element) take the prefix hydo- followed by the second element with the suffix -ic and then the word acid


Ex. HCl is Hydrochloric acid





Oxyacids(acids consisting of hydrogen and a oxyanion) - I don't really know a good way to explain this one but I'll give you two examples.


Ex. H2SO3 Sulfurous acid


Ex. H2SO4 Sulfuric acid


No comments:

Post a Comment